menu bar 10 menu bar 2 menu bar 3 menu bar 4 menu bar 11menu bar 5 menu bar 6

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lumineers vs Gangsta Rap

This is a story that happened last month, but I just can't shake it. You see, in Baltimore there are some things that you just get used to. Crazy cracked out lady walking down the street yelling "Stop! You're scaring me! Stop! I'm scared!" on the Fourth of July while people are shooting off fireworks? Yup, that's nothing.

Lady across the street waking you up at 3am from yelling, "Uhn uh, she just done disrespected me!" and then proceeds to say the same thing five million times as loud as she can to anyone that will listen including the cops that showed up because another neighbor was sick of listening to her? Not unusual.

Ditzy college girls walking back from the bar, drunk, and announcing that they're going to pee on your sidewalk so you get up to bang on your bedroom window to let them know you heard what they just said? Yup, definitely happened once.

The things that happen after midnight on our street are sort of typical Baltimore things. Until one night....

I shot straight up in bed and looked at the clock. 12:57am to be exact. And yes, what I tweeted was true. Clear as a bell (except for the fuzzy sound of speakers that were working much too hard) I hear the Lumineers. Blasting. So loud that it woke me up.

Excuse me? HUH??????? Is this truly what I was hearing?!?! I was so shocked that it wasn't gangsta rap that I literally thought I was dreaming and had to pinch myself. Then I nudged Andrew awake from his deep sleep and asked, "Do you hear that? Is that REALLY what I am hearing or is this just a dream?!" We both listened for a second and then laid in bed laughing before finally falling back asleep.

Now normally I would be mad. "Stupid car! I don't want to hear your stupid music with your stupid cuss words and your stupid pounding bass! I'm trying to sleep!" is the normal response when my windows are rattling from gangsta rap bass beats.

But this! This was just too much! I mean honestly all I could think was 1) Who blasts the Lumineers? Ever? At all? and 2) Who blasts the Lumineers???

As bizarre as it was (clearly, because I am still thinking about this a month later!) I can tell you, if I had to choose Lumineers or gangsta rap, I'd choose Lumineers every time.

I mean, would you prefer this (I apologize for the explicit nature of the video, but needed to make my point)--


Or this--


At one in the morning while you're trying to sleep? I think the answer is clear.

And NOW I think I have officially seen and heard everything in Charm City.

9 comments:

  1. This cracked me up. First of all, I'm thinking, who are the Lumineers? It's not unusual for me to not know who bands are, and sure enough when I clicked on the video, I was like, Oh THAT song? I LOVE that song! Too funny. Yea, I wouldn't mind being woken up by that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that song all the time! 100% better than gangster rap. And also better than a drunk college kid who wants to pee on your sidewalk. (When I was in college, I knew of a girl who peed on somebody's pillow.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks hilarious! This used to happen to me all the time when I lived in NYC. All the time rap music blasting outside my window. I don't mind rap music but it was just always super explicit awful rap music. If The Lumineers were playing I probably would have yelled 'pump it up'! Growing up in Chicago and living in NYC means I've seen everything except perhaps a dead body. I must admit too there have been times I've been so trashed I've had to 'cop a squat' on a sidewalk or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that is hilarious! I just wrote a post about getting woken up at 1 am, but it was due to a couple fighting. Maybe we live in the same neighborhood, ha. I'm a new follower!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JCrew Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They might be hoodlums but at least they have good taste! haha too good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through the Life of Bon giveaway and I am so glad I did, I love it and I am now following you!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered your blog through Bubby & Bean and I love it!!! Will be following for sure.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. They woke you up so you could write this post, I could hear The Lumineers, and finally have something to use my $4 MP3 credit on from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me laugh because I can only imagine how loud the music is, and how much you hear it being that Baltimore has way more traffic than my little town in Alabama. But every night, without fail there is someone driving past our house blasting rap music.... I can't say too much seeing as I was the young girl, living in Maryland many moons ago, blasting rap music in my hoopty just about busting my speakers... however I was respectable. Residential area, turned down. Stop light? turned down... open road in the country... FULL BLAST.

    This is hilarious to me though - must have been a college student riding around lost maybe? Blame Towson ;) [I can say that, I graduated from there].

    P.S. I am dying for you to add a follow by email button - I'm so lazy with my google reader I keep checking back to your blog. I love getting email reminders, keeps me on my toes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...