menu bar 10 menu bar 2 menu bar 3 menu bar 4 menu bar 11menu bar 5 menu bar 6

Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Magnet for Natural Disasters

I've been missing the last week. I've been in my classroom getting things ready for school on Monday. After finally finishing up Friday afternoon, we are now faced with the possibility that school may not open on Monday after all. You see, lately, I've been a magnet for natural disasters and I seem to have brought not one, but two of them our way this week.

Some of you may remember the lovely North Carolina tornado, coming right at us as we headed south on I-95 to Florida.

Then there was also the time that we got stuck in this blizzard on Christmas Day in Nebraska as we were driving to have a family Christmas at my sister's house in Colorado.


Yes, that's the view out the windshield on I-80.

Then there was the blizzard in Baltimore.



And there was the time last summer when we were driving back from my parents' house in Indiana on I-80/90 that we got stuck driving in the worst thunderstorm I have experienced in my life. There was a tornado warning at the time and we were sure we were going to run into one.

Oh, also, I almost got struck by lightning this summer after opening my front door during a thunderstorm. The bolt hit a tv dish across the street, a mere 20 feet away, with a blue glow wrapping around the house. You could hear it buzz and the thunder that accompanied it scared me out of my socks.

If that isn't enough, this Tuesday we had an earthquake. While I had been in two before, they were only just a quick bump. This one, however, was a good 30 seconds of intense shaking and rumbling-- enough that you could actually hear it.

And now, here I sit in my house sipping my coffee waiting for Irene. No one really knows how bad it'll be in Baltimore, but they've predicted power outage for days. I certainly can't be the judge of that because we didn't live here when Hurricane Isabel came through.  Most of the teachers at my school think we won't have school Monday due to flooding and power outages. As for me, I just made sure I had a good stock of coffee. We ran out Friday morning and I certainly wasn't going to go without in the case that the worst happens. Clearly, I have my priorities straight.

4 comments:

  1. They've closed a lot of the coastal schools for Monday up here already, just in case, and people have been making a run on water and gasoline. Me, I'm making sure the laundry is done today and some cards that need printing are in fact printed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Printing an order as we speak to make sure it's at least done if the power goes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're pretty close to the coast so I am panicking in silence until the thing is over. My priorities? I went to the liquor store before I tried to buy water... I know there could be A LOT of down town if that power dies! lol

    Hope you all are staying safe and dry

    -rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe and please don't come to southern California--I don't want an earthquake! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...