menu bar 10 menu bar 2 menu bar 3 menu bar 4 menu bar 11menu bar 5 menu bar 6

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Frustration

I had a few things happen this past week that left me feeling at a bit of a stand still. As I began reflecting on all of it, I thought about the beginning of this indie business venture of mine. Starting out it seemed easy. There were no overly complicated things to think about. As my business continued to grow, each level became much more difficult until I reached the point where I am now.



The amount of work that I put into my shop has increased immensely, yet there are times when I feel as though there is little progress forward, or sometimes even days when I feel as though I am taking several steps back. The worst part about this frustration is that it is draining me of creative energy. I sit down with the intention of creating, only to sit and stare at an empty Illustrator artboard or a blank card and stacks of paper. I'm stuck in a negative cycle.

In one of my most recent fits of frustration, a blog friend Patti shared a great article that got my mind back on track. It reminded me of what my priorities need to be. So I decided to consciously think about the positives. I decided to get back into my yoga routine that I lost a few months ago. I decided to take time off from the things that were adding to my frustration. I decided to stop comparing myself to others and to not be so hard on myself. And mostly, I decided to step away from things if it becomes too frustrating, and come back to it a different day or a different time.

Day one into my new positive cycle and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm realizing that I control how I feel rather than letting it up to circumstances. Some of the circumstances are not up to my control in any way, but it is up to me how I react. Aside from these changes I'm trying to make, I decided to let it all out realizing that I'm not always alone in this department. Do you ever feel stuck in a rut of frustration? What are the methods you have used to cope with your own frustrations?

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've been bummed out lately, but I'm glad to hear you're already getting back on track. That's the most important thing to do. I get crabby about my business sometimes, too, and when it happens I let myself have a little pity party, but then it's back to work. Sitting and dwelling on whatever is bothering you will only make it worse.

    And I'm SO glad you brought up the point of not comparing yourself to others. That's been a long-time rule of mine, but lately I've been peeking into other Etsy shops and wondering why such-and-such person has 3,000 sales and I don't. But I have to remind myself that I really don't know anything about their situation. Maybe they have a trust fund or took out a business loan. Or maybe they only focus on Etsy and don't do any selling at shows. Maybe they have an assistant to help them manage the workload and therefore get more done. I don't know and probably never will, so beating myself up about it would be futile.

    Anyhoodle, what I'm trying to say is you're not alone. Chin up, buttercup, your shop is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on this one! I've been really frustrated with my design work lately. I sat down three times this week to work on new product and hated everything that I came up with. For me, I'm just taking a few days off from painting, running to clear my head, and trying not to be too hard on myself. I'll try again this weekend and see how things turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire everyone who sells creative work. I am a vintage seller, so I am not putting myself out there in the same way. I think some comparison with other vendors can be good if there are strategies we can learn from them, but I don't ever look at others' sales numbers. I think you are right to focus on your own work and what you can influence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heidi its great to read about your thoughts, but sorry you are feeling so 'down' about it all. i just saw your give away on yellowheartart and had a fit of joy for your product! you really have grown in this little business of handmade yummies. you are kinda smashing it out of the park. you rock!

    -rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Join the club! We all go through these lows, dips - call them what you like. Best thing is that you're doing something about it, and don't worry. Don't try so hard, and things will come back, I'm sure.

    Meanwhile, having found you on Blogging Buddies, am inviting you to visit my blog at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com where I post about the plushies I make, mend and otherwise create and then try to sell at www.coldhamcuddlies.etsy.com. Hope to see you there sometime soon.

    In the meantime, chin up - and keep at it! Isobel

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...