menu bar 10 menu bar 2 menu bar 3 menu bar 4 menu bar 11menu bar 5 menu bar 6

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Punch Brothers

I grew up with a lot of bluegrass. My dad played a lot of it, and still does, in band that he plays with these days. Bluegrass isn't the only thing that he plays, but that is how I was exposed to it. Needless to say, I love it. And one thing that I love about it is it's versatility. It can be percussive, jazz-like, or carry a bit of a twang.

I've been a bit obsessed with the Punch Brothers lately, a bluegrass quintet fronted by mandolinist extraordinaire Chris Thile. I first heard Chris Thile when he played for Nickel Creek. Myself and a bunch of college roommates had gone to see John Mayer, and Nickel Creek was opening for him. John Mayer is an amazing guitarist, but I was definitely impressed with Thile (consider Thile the rock star of all rock stars of mandolinists).

Most recently, Andrew and I were lucky to see the Punch Brothers open for Bruce Hornsby this past August. And they are absolutely fantastic. After buying their latest album, Who's Feeling Young Now?, I've quickly found that their music is some of the most original and experimental in their genre. It's hard not to like it.

No Concern of Yours has quickly become my favorite song on their album.



Movement and Location shows influence from greats like David Grisman and Stephane Grappelli.



Hope you enjoy the Punch Brothers just as much as I do! What have you been listening to lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...